Sunday 4 August 2013

Damn Funk


Damn Funk. It's all in the name, rendering further description unnecessary. Yet the LA funk extraordinaire's sheer allure compels me to write on regardless.

I came to DF via Kyle Hall and Omar S (when he bigs someone up, I take heed, as it don't happen much), and when I stumbled upon a 2008 Deviation set on Benji B's soundcloud I was an instant convert.

The set is a masterpiece in how to rock a party, with the irrepressible dj's voice as integral a part of the mix as the rare and awesome boogie being laid down. A self proclaimed “first pressings only” vinyl set consisting of jaw dropping tunes which should be stone cold classics in an ideal and just world, it had my ass shakin despite my fragile hangover head.

If we are to believe his first pressings claim, the music played in this set alone could fetch a fine and dandy sum on discogs, like, enough to buy a new car probs, but collector envy aside, this is 1 hr 37 mins of sheer vibes.

One standout among standouts was Midnight Express' “Danger Zone”, which instantly went on my want list. And luckily the NY disco diggers at PPU repressed it a few years back, so I might be holding it in my very own arms sometime soon :)

Another joy was the was the way DF shouted out what the actual tunes were (a relief for furtive shazamers, like me). A 1983 Vaughan Mason jam on Salsoul Records was another discovery courtesy of these raucous shout-outs.

This set ain't for mixing pedants- it's rough and ready- but like a good Theo Parrish set say, set the tunes and energy ALWAYS prevail.

Dont be afraid of The Funk, y'all! x




No comments:

Post a Comment